Friday, November 23, 2012

Famous Kaya Puffs @ Sin Eng Heong, Ipoh

Over the long weekend during Deepavali and Awal Muharram holiday, I went to Ipoh for local food. After landing in Ipoh old railway station, my first destination was this Sing Eng Heong shop in Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri (Jalan Clare), slightly about 15 min drive from Ipoh old railway station. I'm surprised that this shop opened during public holiday. Walked in jaw dropped, long queue. My friend told me this shop is very famous for fluffy kaya puffs.

Beautifully painted yellow-red shop of Sin Eng Heong

I walked around the shop, hey this sign board is very familiar, let me have a closer look. Oh.. it's Ho Chiak award by 8TV chinese food program featured in a few seasons ago. This must be good I suppose.

Awarded by Ho Chiak Programme

While my friend was waiting on the queue, he told me "hey, that uncle with white shirt is the owner of the shop". Without delay, I walked over purposely to greet the owner Mr.Ng. I'm shocked and surprised that Mr.Ng is a very humble and friendly man, happily talking with me about the history of his shop. He grow along with the kaya puffs more than 50 years. According to Mr.Ng all his kaya puffs are hand made, from the dough till it form kaya puffs require patient, art work into it.

Mr.Ng the owner of Sin Eng Heong

After 30 min conversation, I asked his permission to snap a photo. Mr.Ng, how generously he is, willing to spend some time with me in photography session. He told me "ya, I understand everyone come he to take photo with me for memories, I'm ok with that". Mr.Ng still healthy in his age, salute him.

The very famous fluffy kay puffs

Golden brown color kaya puffs!! xD

Da pau back to KL!!

I thank him for the time and most important, I do bought a box of fluffy kaya puffs which consists 10 inside with RM8, which means each kaya puff is RM0.80. How cheap is that? The most important for kaya puff is the kaya paste which contain secret recipe inside, only know by Mr.Ng and family. Crunchy, dough from outside, sweet kaya paste inside, one word delicious pastries nestled in Ipoh Old town area. No wonder all the tourist must da pau back a few boxes back to KL. They do export to Singapore as well. If you're fan of kaya puffs, do visit here. =D

Kedai Biskut Sin Eng Heong
64-66, Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri
(Jalan Clare), 30300 Ipoh, Perak
Business Hours: Mon-Sat 0900-2000, Sun 0900-1800
Tel: 05-2439659
GPS Coordinates: 4.5948, 101.0848

2 comments:

Tekkaus said...

Wow. The boss looks so timid. Ha :D But I am sure he is proud.

Unknown said...

Tekkaus: He is timid but the way he work excellent.. he's friendly.. ^_^