Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Winter Solstice 冬至快乐

Time is flying fast.. another new winter year arrived. Today in Chinese calendar is a remarkable day of Winter Solstice 冬至快乐. Traditionally, the Dongzhi Festival is also a time for the family to get together. One activity that occurs during these get togethers (especially in the southern parts of China and in Chinese communities overseas) is the making and eating of Tangyuan (湯圓, as pronounced in Mandarin Pinyin: Tāng Yuán) or balls of glutinous rice, which symbolize reunion.

Despite craving for Tangyuan, so decided to make it myself in first place. Due to working hours, I don't have time to make it myself so I requested mom to make Tangyuan for me. This year Tangyuan a bit special it's recipe from star newspapers from Kuali.com on  Glutinous Rice Balls In Barley Gingko Soup attracted me that much. Talked with mom regarding the recipe but mom is faster than me. She showed me on her newspapers cutting on craft book, lots of varieties desserts cooking recipe. Bugging her to get me Gingko as I  knew Gingko it's hard to get nowadays moreover raining season will have less stocks. =)

Next day, after back from work.. Mom showed me "finally I get your Gingko so can make Glutinous Rice Balls In Barley Gingko Soup for you". Hehehehehe.. I'm so happy finally my Tangyuan it's complete set. After back from work, I go to kitchen to peep on my Tangyuan.


Wah.. So colorful Tangyuan.. See that? Red and yellows Tangyuan with Gingko. It's a perfect combination, can't resist to try it. First thing is tested on the soup.. ARRrrrggghhh melting... sweet because of the honey rock sugar.. just perfect combination to go with Gingko and barley. Thanks mommy for the hardwork.


According to olden folks eating Tangyuan you age will get 1 year old. Meaning the new beginning year ahead. Everyone gathering around in family to have reunion dinner. It's a blessing day. Wish everyone Happy Winter Solstice 冬至快乐

2 comments:

Tekkaus said...

Yes. We are one year older now. :D

Unknown said...

Tekkaus: hehehe.. xD